Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Wednesday Briefs - The Adored One 15




********************
My apologies, but due to the weather and my internet acting crazy, I'm only able to post half of this chapter. The story will continue next week.
Thanks for your patience and happy reading!

********************

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

A warm breeze blew the sweet smell of lilac across the meadow in front of me. A shallow brook to my right reflected the summer sun, and I looked up into a perfectly blue sky. Birds singing, crickets chirping, and the light sound of trickling over rocks bombarded my senses, and I instantly remembered where I was.

I spun around and staggered back. An old two-story farmhouse sat between two ancient maple trees. On the wrap around porch, seated on the weathered swing, was my grandmother. She had passed away when I was fourteen, and I'd missed her terribly.

Grammie's house was always my favorite place to visit when I was a kid. My cousins and I would all come for a week, like it was summer camp. We spent our days playing baseball and exploring the woods. At night, we stayed up late, talking around the big fire pit, while our parents played cribbage inside. It was magical, like heaven.

Was this my heaven? Had I finished my mission by saving Max?

"Yes and no."

"Whoa!" I yelped in surprise, as Philip appeared by my side.

He put a hand on my shoulder. "Easy there, big guy."

I was calmed by his touch. "Hey, Philip. What's going on? Is this heaven?"

He smiled. "It's part of your heaven, yes."

"Part?"

"God gives each of his children their own…version of heaven. Our happiest memories, deepest loves, they're all wrapped up into a dream world."

"A dream world where you never wake up. That's so incredibly cool. "I laughed, but Philip's expression sobered me. "What's wrong?"

"I'm here to take you to Him."

I swallowed hard. "Him, him?" When Philip nodded, I groaned. Panic pushed painfully against my chest. "Oh, man, I made him really mad, didn't I? What's he gonna do? Is he gonna send me down…there?"

The angel flinched at my words. "No, Trace. He's merely concerned. You forget—God forgives sins. He also doesn't mind if you question him. It's okay to want to know what's going on. He won't always tell you, but he doesn't mind you asking what his plans are."

I let out a breath. "Oh thank you, God. Uh…literally."

"You crack me up, Trace. Come on." Philip waved his hand and we were instantly in the biggest cathedral I'd ever seen. I'd toured many palace in Europe, and I'd never seen anything like this. Towering walls of sight limestone were punctuated with incredibly delicate stained glass. Slender columns supported a Gothic, vaulted ceiling, which was painting with scenes of cherubs dancing among the clouds.

"Beautiful," I whispered.

"It is lovely, isn't?"

The deep voice was so powerful I could feel it in my bones. Philip and I continued down the nave of the cathedral until we were standing in front of an elaborate, golden throne. The man seated there was massive, at least seven feet tall, with flowing, gray hair and white robes. He was exactly what I thought God would look like.

He smiled. "I don't always look like this. For now, I'm appearing to you as you imagine I'd be."

I nodded, but said, "What, wait?"

He put up a hand. "I'll explain all that in due time. Right now, I wish to talk to you."



****************************************

Don't forget to visit the other flashers!

Caz Pedroso
Cia Nordwell
Johayan
Jon Keys
Julie Lynn Hayes
Mann Ramblings
Nephy Hart
Shelly Schulz

No comments:

Post a Comment